Message from the Chief – Fire Pit Safety
October 13, 2023
Now that the weather is cooling down or about to, many households have or maybe are thinking of purchasing a Fire Pit.
The Fire Chief would like to provide some safety guidelines for you to follow when using a Fire Pit:
- Don’t use flammable fluids to start fires.
- Burn only clean, untreated wood (or gas in a gas-fired fire pit).
- Ensure an adequate suppression source is readily available.
- Only a commercially designed and manufactured freestanding outdoor fireplace or fire pit in good repair should be used.
- Care should be taken that at least a three foot perimeter from the fire should be kept clear of flammable materials. This includes dry grass or brush, furniture, branches, hedges, etc.
- The fire pit should be 20 feet from any structure or flammable source.
- Never place a fire pit under a roof, overhang, or low-hanging branches.
- Adults should never leave a fire unattended.
Consider becoming a VOLUNTEER Firefighter or EMT. Simply, click the link https://join.bmfd.org/