Message from the Chief – Preventing Heat Related Injuries
June 9, 2023
The Fire Chief would like to remind you of some preventative measures that you can take to reduce the risk of heat-related injuries.
- Stay in air-conditioned buildings as much as possible. Air-conditioning is the number one protective factor against heat related illness and death. If a home is not air-conditioned, people can reduce their risk for heat-related illness by spending time in public facilities that are air-conditioned, and using air conditioning while driving in vehicles.
- Do not rely on a fan as your primary cooling device during an extreme heat event.
- Drink more water than usual and don’t wait until you’re thirsty to drink.
- Don’t use the stove or oven to cook—it will make you and your house hotter.
- Limit outdoor activity, especially midday when the sun is hottest.
- Check on a neighbor or someone who lives alone.
- Take cool showers or baths to cool down.
Consider becoming a VOLUNTEER Firefighter or EMT. Simply, Cntr + click the link https://join.bmfd.org/
Please deposit your old, torn or retired US Flags in the newly painted RED Mail Box located in front of the Fire House. The retired US Flags are used by the Boy Scouts at their Flag Retirement Ceremony which is held each year on Flag Day (June 14th) in Law Park. If you have time stop by and enjoy the ceremony.