Message from the Chief – Vacation Safety
May 26, 2023
The Fire Chief would like remind you of how to stay safe when away from home or on vacation.
Peer-to-peer hospitality services, such as Airbnb, Vacation Rentals by Owner and other types of vacation rentals are not regulated in the same way as hotels. Requirements vary widely across jurisdictions. Act as your own safety advocate and know before you go. Be sure the following safety measures are addressed.
- Working smoke alarms are in every sleeping room. They are outside each separate sleeping area. They are on every level of the home.
- Working smoke alarms are interconnected, if possible. When one alarm sounds, they all sound.
- Portable fire extinguishers are in the home and are easy to reach.
- Working carbon monoxide alarms are outside each separate sleeping area. They are on every level of the home and in other locations as required by laws, codes, or standards.
- The owner has posted a floor plan. It notes all escape routes and exits and provides emergency contact information.
- Everyone knows the address of the home.
- Everyone staying in the home has identified two ways out of every room and how to escape in an emergency.
- All doors and windows that lead outside are able to be opened.
- An outside meeting place has been chosen. It is a safe distance away from the home.
- Everyone knows how to call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number from a cell phone from outside.
- If smoking is allowed, a smoking area has been designated and is well away from the structure. Deep, sturdy ashtrays have been provided.
- All pathways are free and clear of tripping hazards.
- Electrical outlets are free from multiple cords and adaptors.
- The stovetop is clear. Anything that can catch fire is not near the stovetop, such as curtains and towels.
You can follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/briarcliffmanorfiredept and on Instagram at www.instagram.com/briarcliffmanorfiredept.
Consider becoming a VOLUNTEER Firefighter or EMT. Simply, Cntr + click the link https://join.bmfd.org/