Message from the Chief – Odor of Gas
July 22, 2022
From the Briarcliff Manor Fire Department (BMFD) – The Fire Chief would like remind everyone to Act Fast if you Smell Gas.
Gas leaks can result in fires and explosions. It’s important that you and your family know how to recognize a gas leak and what to do if you suspect a leak.
How to Recognize a Gas Leak
- SMELL – Natural Gas smells like rotten eggs.
- SEE – A white cloud, mist, fog, bubbles in standing water, blowing dust, or vegetation that appears to be dead or dying for no reason.
- HEAR – Roaring, hissing or whistling.
- GAS – If gas is in the air, a spark could cause an explosion. Don’t light a match, smoke, flip a switch, ring a doorbell or touch appliances or electronics, including phones.
- RUN – If you suspect a gas leak, get everyone out immediately.
- CALL – When you’re safely outside call 911. The Con-Ed number is 1-800-75-CONED.
Don’t assume someone else has already called.
Consider becoming a VOLUNTEER Firefighter or EMT. Simply click the link https://join.bmfd.org/