Message from the Chief – Lightning Safety
June 18, 2021
The Fire Chief would like to share the following Safety Tips regarding Thunder & Lightning.
Remember, when you hear the roar, get indoors. If you are caught outdoors and do not have the ability to seek shelter indoors, try to follow the tips.
- If you can hear thunder, you are within striking distance of lightning.
- Avoid open fields, the top of a hill or a ridge top.
- Stay away from tall, isolated trees or other tall objects. If you are in a forest, stay near a lower stand of trees.
- If you are in a group, spread out to avoid the current traveling between group members.
- If you are camping in an open area, set up camp in a valley, ravine or other low area. Remember, a tent offers NO protection from lighting.
- Stay away from water, wet items such as ropes and metal objects like fences or poles. Water and metal do not attract lightning but they are excellent conductors of electricity. The current from a lightning flash will easily travel for long distances.
- Wait at least 30 minutes after hearing the last clap of thunder before leaving your shelter.
- Dial 911 immediately if you see anyone or anything struck by lightning.
Consider becoming a VOLUNTEER Firefighter or EMT. Simply click the link https://join.bmfd.org/
The Fire Chiefs and all Members of the Briarcliff Manor Fire Department would like to wish all the Dads and Granddads a very Happy Father’s Day this Sunday.