Message from the Chief – Fires in High Rise Buildings
August 19, 2022
The Fire Chief would like remind you of how to stay safely in an Apartment Fire! You may live in an apartment, be visiting or temporarily staying in an apartment building for work or during vacation.
Large apartment buildings are built to keep people safe from fire. Fire alarm systems detect smoke and fire. They will warn residents of danger.
- The fire alarm system has many parts that work together. Some of the parts are out of sight. In a fire, smoke detectors sense smoke and activate the fire alarm. Manual fire alarm boxes allow people to sound the alarm. When the fire alarm system activates it will warn residents of danger.
- Everyone in the building should know where to find the manual fire alarm boxes (alarm boxes on the wall with a pull bar). Most are found within five feet of an exit door.
- If there is a fire, pull the manual fire alarm box handle on your way out of the building.
- When the system senses smoke or fire, a loud horn or tone will sound. Everyone must know what this sound means and how to react.
- Leave the building right away if you hear the sound of a fire alarm.
- Know where the closest staircase or fire escape is located.
- Never use the elevator in the event of a fire.
- Stay outside at your meeting place until you are told the building is safe.
- Treat every fire alarm as an emergency. When the alarms sounds, get outside.
- Only use a manual fire alarm box if there is smoke or fire. Frequent false alarms are a problem. People might ignore the sound if they hear too many false alarms. False alarms also put firefighters at risk.
You can follow us on Facebook click to follow link) www.facebook.com/briarcliffmanorfiredept and on Instagram at www.instagram.com/briarcliffmanorfiredept.
Consider becoming a VOLUNTEER Firefighter or EMT. Simply, click the link https://join.bmfd.org/