Message from the Chief – Escape Plan
July 29, 2022
From the Briarcliff Manor Fire Department (BMFD) – The Fire Chief would like remind you to create an Escape Plan in the event of a fire.
Plan Ahead! If a fire breaks out in your home, you may have only a few minutes to get out safely once the smoke alarm sounds. Everyone needs to know what to do and where to go if there is a fire.
- Make a home escape plan. Discuss the plan with everyone in your home
- Know at least two ways out of every room. Make sure doors and windows leading to outside open easily.
- Have an outside meeting place, (like a tree, a light post or a mailbox), a safe distance from the home where everyone knows to meet.
- Practice your home fire drill at night and during the day with everyone in your home, twice a year.
- Practice using different ways out.
- Teach children how to escape on their own in case you can’t help them
- Close doors behind you as you leave
- Call the Fire Department (911) from outside your home
- If the alarm sounds – GET OUT AND STAY OUT
- If smoke is present – GET LOW AND GO
Consider becoming a VOLUNTEER Firefighter or EMT. Simply, click the link https://join.bmfd.org/