Message from the Chief – Lightning Safety
December 24, 2021
The Fire Chief would like you to Watch Out for Fire Starters!
Candles and Fireplaces
Thousands of deaths are caused by fires, burns and other fire-related injuries every year, and 12% of home candle fires occur in December, the National Fire Protection Association reports. Increased use of candles and fireplaces, combined with an increase in the amount of combustible, seasonal decorations present in many homes means more risk for fire.
- Never leave burning candles unattended or sleep in a room with a lit candle
- Keep candles out of reach of children
- Make sure candles are on stable surfaces
- Don’t burn candles near trees, curtains or any other flammable items
- Before starting a fire in the fireplace make sure the damper is open
- Don’t burn trees, wreaths or wrapping paper in the fireplace
- Check and clean the chimneyand fireplace area at least once a year
Consider becoming a VOLUNTEER Firefighter or EMT. Simply click the link https://join.bmfd.org/
On behalf of the Fire Chiefs and all the Members of the Briarcliff Manor Fire Department we wish you and your family a Safe and Merry Christmas!