Message from the Chief – Lithium Batteries
January 21, 2022
The Fire Chief would like to remind you of a few simple Safety Tips to follow when using Lithium-Ion Batteries.
Lithium-ion batteries supply power to many kinds of devices including smart phones, laptops, scooters, e-cigarettes, smoke alarms, toys, and even cars. Take care when using them. In rare cases, they can cause a fire or explosion. These need to be disposed of properly through the Westchester Household Material Recovery Facility (H-MRF). An appointment is necessary, please call (914) 813-5425.
- Purchase and use devices that are listed by a qualified testing laboratory.
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Only use the battery that is designed for the device.
- Put batteries in the device the right way.
- Only use the charging cord that came with the device.
- Do not charge a device under your pillow, on your bed or on a couch.
- Keep batteries at room temperature.
- Do not place batteries in direct sunlight or keep them in hot vehicles.
- Store batteries away from anything that can catch fire.
Consider becoming a VOLUNTEER Firefighter or EMT. Simply click the link https://join.bmfd.org/