Message from the Chief – Religious Candle Safety
April 7, 2023
During these next few weeks of religious celebration the Fire Chief would like remind you to be safe with how you use and handle candles.
Lit candles are used in religious services, in places of worship, and in the home. Whether you are using one candle or more, make sure you take a few moments to learn about using candles safely.
Candle Safety Tips
- Candles should be placed in a sturdy candle holder.
- Handheld candles should not be passed from one person to another at any time.
- When lighting candles at a candle lighting service, have the person with the unlit candle dip their candle into the flame of the lit candle.
- Lit candles should not be placed in windows where a blind or curtain could catch fire.
- Candles placed on, or near tables, altars, or shrines, must be watched by an adult.
- If a candle must burn continuously, be sure it is enclosed in a glass container and placed in a sink, on a metal tray, or in a deep basin filled with water.
- Matches and lighters should be stored out of the reach of children, in a locked cabinet.
- Places of worship should be equipped with a fire detection and sprinkler system.
- A home should have smoke alarms on every level, outside each sleeping area and inside each bedroom. For the best protection, interconnect the alarms, so when one sounds, they all sound. Test all smoke alarms at least monthly by pushing the test button. Replace smoke alarms when they are 10 years old.
- Plan and practice a home fire escape drill that includes two ways out of every room and an outside meeting place.
Consider becoming a VOLUNTEER Firefighter or EMT. Simply, Cntr + click the link https://join.bmfd.org/
You can follow us on Facebook, simply click the link www.facebook.com/briarcliffmanorfiredept and on Instagram at www.instagram.com/briarcliffmanorfiredept.
Have a Safe, Happy Passover Festival and a Happy Easter Sunday!
Join Us on Sunday April 23rd at the Main Firehouse for Food, Tours and Demonstrations.