Message from the Chief – Wood Burning Stoves
January 13, 2023
The Fire Chief would like remind you of Stove Safety when using your Wood Burning Stoves!
- Make sure the Damper is open before starting a fire.
- Read the instructions for your wood burning stove and follow them carefully
- Do not use flammable or combustible liquid (gasoline, kerosene, lighter fluid, etc.) to start a fire
- Do not burn plastics, garbage or wood that has been painted or treated with chemicals. These materials can create toxic gases and can cause corrosion in the vent, chimney and heater
- Burn wood or pellets recommended by the manufacturer only.
- Put ashes in a metal container with a metal lid. Then place this container onto a concrete surface away from combustible materials outside. These embers may still be hot for several days, so always dispose of them with caution
- Place both smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors on every level of your home, and test these units regularly.
- Place a multi-purpose fire extinguisher near your wood burner.
- Inspect the firebrick liner in your stove, if you have one. Should the liner show signs of wear, replace it immediately and do not use the unit until the liner is replaced
- Never close your damper with hot ashes in the fireplace or wood burning stove. A closed damper will allow the fire to heat up which will, in turn, force toxic carbon monoxide into your house.
- Solid fuel units tend to require a lot more maintenance than other heating systems. Therefore, regular inspections and care are needed to protect your home and family against fire and carbon monoxide poisoning.
You can follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/briarcliffmanorfiredept and on Instagram at www.instagram.com/briarcliffmanorfiredept.
Consider becoming a VOLUNTEER Firefighter or EMT. Simply click the link https://join.bmfd.org/