Message from the Chief – Winter Storms
December 30, 2022
The Fire Chief would like to share the following Safety Tips regarding Winter Storms.
Winter storms can happen almost anywhere. They can cause us problems. Know what to do before, during and after a storm. This will help keep you and your family safe from a winter fire.
- Test all smoke alarms. Do this at least once a month. This way you will know they are working. Install carbon monoxide alarms in your home. Test the alarms.
- Plan two ways out of the home in case of an emergency. Clear driveway and front walk of ice and snow. This will provide easy access to your home.
- Make sure your house number can be seen from the street. If you need help, firefighters and EMS will be able to find your home quickly. Take a look at this YouTube video explaining the importance of having a visible house number –https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xmm4TF_loEQ
- Be ready in case the power goes out. Have flashlights on hand. Also have battery-powered lighting and fresh batteries. Never use candles.
- Stay informed of pending winter weather. Listen to the television or radio for updates. Watch for bulletins online.
- Check on neighbors and others who may be in need of help (especially the elderly).
- Generators should be used outdoors. Keep them away from windows and doors. Do not run a generator inside your garage, even if the door is open.
- DIAL 911 immediately to report downed wires and remain indoors.
- In addition, all power outages should also be reported directly to Con Ed at 1– 800 – 75 – CONED (1-800-752-6633)
- Be prepared if the heat stops working, use extra layers of clothes and blankets to stay warm.
- If you use an emergency heat source, keep anything that can burn at least 3 feet away. Turn portable heaters off when you leave the room or when you go to bed. Never leave them unattended.
Consider becoming a VOLUNTEER Firefighter or EMT. Simply click the link https://join.bmfd.org/
On behalf of the Fire Chiefs and all the Members of the Briarcliff Manor Fire Department we wish you and your family good health and much happiness in the New Year – 2023!