Message from the Chief – Holiday Tree Safety
December 2, 2022
The Fire Chief would like to remind you of a few simple Safety Tips to follow if placing a live tree indoors during the Holidays.
As you deck the halls this holiday season, be fire safety smart. A small fire that spreads to a Christmas Tree / Hanukkah Bush can spread very quickly.
- Picking the tree – Choose a tree with fresh, green needles that do not fall off when touched.
- Placing the tree – Before placing the tree in the stand, cut 2” from the base of the trunk.
- Make sure the tree is at least three feet away from any heat source, like fireplaces, radiators, candles, heat vents or lights.
- Make sure the tree is not blocking an exit.
- Be sure to add water to the tree stand daily.
- Lighting the tree – Use lights that have the label of a recognized testing laboratory. Lights will be labeled for indoor or outdoor use.
- DO NOT use any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections. Read manufacturer’s instructions for number of light strands to connect.
- NEVER use lit candles to decorate the tree.
- Always turn off tree lights before leaving home or going to bed.
- Discarding the tree – Get rid of the tree soon after the holiday or when it is dry. Dried-out trees are a fire danger.
- Pack away outdoor electrical lights after the holidays to prevent hazards and make them last longer.
You can follow us on Facebook www.facebook.com/briarcliffmanorfiredept and on Instagram at www.instagram.com/briarcliffmanorfiredept.
Consider becoming a VOLUNTEER Firefighter or EMT. Simply, click the link https://join.bmfd.org/